Sachie let us in on some basics about Japanese cuisine, her cooking must-haves, and, of course, what happens onboard during her live culinary demonstration.
For those of us who can’t visit her cooking school or see her onboard, she’s given a quick lesson on how to roll our own sushi!
Photo by Mike
You will need:
- Have a sushi mat on the plate or table
- Place seaweed on the mat with the “shiny” side down
- Place cooked sushi rice on top of the seaweed but leave about a 1cm gap on the top edge
- Place filling on the bottom 1/3 of the sheet on top of the rice
- Use your fingers to hold the ingredients, raise the whole mat up and over, rolling the mat over once, pressing the ingredients in to keep the roll firm
- There should still be an edge of the seaweed visible, and so lift up the top part of the mat that is closest to your body and roll forward.
- Squeeze the roll gently now to firm it up.
The key is to keep it simple!